What you need to know about dietary supplements
Published at: 03.08.2022 17:33
Dietary supplements are products designed to improve your daily intake of nutrients, including vitamins and minerals. Many are safe and offer significant health benefits. Supplements come in many forms including tablets, capsules, soft gels, powders, bars, gummies, and liquids. Some dietary supplements can help you get adequate amounts of essential nutrients if you don’t eat a nutritious variety of foods.
Who needs dietary supplements?
Supplements are not a substitute for a balanced healthy diet. A diet that includes plenty of fruits, vegetables, whole grains, adequate protein, and healthy fats should normally provide all the nutrients needed for good health. In our modern lifestyle, not everyone manages to eat a healthy diet. Various dietary surveys have suggested that there are suboptimal intakes for several micronutrients. Each population group requires specific advice about supplements like,
Women of childbearing age
Folic acid, vitamin D and iron
People with insufficient sun exposure or darker skin
People over age 50
Vitamin D, Vitamin B12, folate
Vitamin C, Zinc etc...
What Are the Benefits of Dietary Supplements?
• Dietary supplements support mental health
• Improves immune health
• They will ensure your body is getting enough of the proper nutrients
• Supplements that are designed to help athletes put forth their best performances.
• They will Combat the Side Effects of Some Medications • Increased overall health and wellbeing.
What To Look For When Buying Supplements
• Choose a Respected Brand
• Avoid Extra Ingredients and Doses
• Consult your physician and find out whether you need them and in what quantity.
• Check purity
• Improve Your Label Reading Skills
Consider having a thorough check of the ingredients list, nutrition chart, and manufacturer’s information before buying the supplement. Look for quality seals or third-party certifications.